Glen Ellen – Napa: The Classics – Cavedale | Mt Veeder | Dry Creek | Sunday Apr 16, 2023, 8:50 am gather 9 am ride
- Out of town start, Glen Ellen to Napa | 47.7 miles | ~4h15m riding time, 5h+ total including regroups/stops and mid-ride break in Napa
- AB-B-C level riders are all welcome and e-bikes as well - we can split into C, B and AB groups based on ride levels.
- ·I'll lead AB pace, alternating when needed to front, middle and rear - no drop.
- Socializing friendly AB pace group will avg 11-13 mph (3-6 mph uphill, 20+ mph downhill), regrouping at major summits & turns or as needed
- Mountains (5,200 ft, 15%+ grades, requires well controlled speed and strong riding skills on descents – not for beginners)
- Please arrive ready to roll by 8:50 am at intersection of Arnold Dr & Harney, Glen Ellen, CA 95442 (near Sonoma Developmental Center - street parking on Grove St at Arnold Drive in Eldridge neighborhood) (click here for Google Map Directions). We will go over the route, regroup plan, and descent safety tips, leaving PROMPTLY at 9 am, finishing after 2 pm.
- Carpool available - my trailer hitch has room for 3 additional bikes - email me before noon Saturday April 15 if you'd like to carpool from 7th & D St in W Petaluma to Glen Ellen and back (35 mins one way so arrive ~8:00 am to load bikes in time for a 8:15 am departure).
Route Map: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42475985
Description: Scenic intermediate to advanced route with a good amount of sustained climbing coupled with steep, twisting and technical descents. You'll need to control your speed (slower is better) and exercise good judgement with solid riding skills.
We start in Glen Ellen with a 2 mile warn up on the flats, then climb 2,000 vertical ft for 5 miles up Cavedale (with some great springtime views), followed by 7 miles downhill on Trinity/Dry Creek Rd. Mt Veeder Rd is the next uphill (4 miles, more views), then we descend 8 miles down Mt Veeder to Redwood Rd.
Water bottle refills and stop for coffee/snacks at Browns Valley Expresso in Napa (mile 27), returning via a 9 mile, low-ish grade climb up Dry Creek followed by steeper 2 mile climb and rapid, winding, 3 mile descent down Trinity before "relaxing" on the final 5 miles through Glen Ellen vineyard roads back to the start point.
E-mail or call/text me at 415-307-4871 for any questions, to carpool with me, or to pre-register (see below and please specify in your email "Sun Apr 16 Glen Ellen". - Mike Sarmiento
- - - -
This ride is joint posted with our friends at the Santa Rosa Cycling Club, thus advance registration is required to distinguish which club’s insurance applies in case of an accident.
If you are riding as a PWCC member, please register with me before 8 pm, Saturday, April 15, indicating "Sun Apr 16 Glen Ellen", by sending an email to me and I will list you as a PWCC participant.
If you are riding as a SRCC member, please pre-register by 11:59 pm Saturday April 15 by going to the SRCC Calendar Event and registration button The registration link closes at midnight the night before the ride.
If you are not a member of either club:
- If you'd like to ride as a PWCC guest, follow the PWCC pre-registration instructions above and also print out the PWCC Liability Waiver form then provide the signed and completed form to me at the beginning of the ride After your initial "try-us-out-ride", we ask that you join PWCC.
- If you'd like to ride as an SRCC guest, follow the SRCC pre-registration instructions above and also print the SRCC Liability Waiver form then provide the signed and completed form to me at the beginning of the ride. After your initial SRCC guest ride, we ask that you join SRCC.